Sidenote: I feel like a different record is being broken every week this year. With each broken record comes the realization that we are in a changing industry. But what’s more admirable that the broken record is the person who originally set it. You need to consider that fact that most of these records were set in a time with no digital records, and that makes a huge difference.
With that being said heres the list:
- Rihanna made history this week as her single, ‘We Found Love’, becomes her 20th Top 10 single. Rihanna achieved the feat in six years and four months, which beats Madonna previous record of six years and nine months.
- Adele reclaims the top spot on the Hot 100 with ‘Someone Like You’, which is growing rapidly on the radio.
- B.o.B. scores a top 10 debut as his brand new single ‘Strange Clouds’ debuts at number 7. The song, which is the first single from his sophomore album features Lil Wayne and was produced by Dr. Luke. Dr. Luke really has the golden touch.
- Lil Wayne scores another number 1 on the R&B chart as ‘She Will’ advances to number 1. Drake, who is featured on the song is also sitting at number 2 with ‘Headlines’.
- Blink 182 blast on the album chart at number 2 with 151,000. The last time they were on on the chart with a original album was in 2005 with their album, Blink 182. Considering that the band has not made a huge impact with any singles with this album, I’d say they had a solid first week.
- J. Cole is the victor this week selling 218,000 copies of his debut album.